Thursday 3 April 2008

Draining power commences

October. Return from the trip south and discover Sofia (note how I am still calling her that) seems to have developed an electrical fault. If left for any length of time, her battery is draining flat. This means that in the early hours of the morning, her piercing alarm wakes the entire neighbourhood to advise us that we will not only be able to start her engine, but neither will we be able to stop the screeching without a mallet and a tantrum. Flat. As the proverbial pancake.

Due to the fact that I have a full time job (apart from maintaining this car) I opt to take her to a local garage so that he might have a look at what might be draining the battery. I also join the rather helpful AlfaOwner website which offers many suggestions as to possible causes of this drain.

Armed with a recently acquired expertise on potential faults I get her to the local garage where they investigate her with the laptop and several hours of Eric the mechanic's head scratching later we still cannot pin down the drain. I offer up the possibility of the window mechanism (see post 1 - this is a theme) but this is not felt to be the problem. My reason for this suggestion is simple - it was the only electrical thing that the Birmingham dealer did, was not required, and was possibly not done very well. Using some of my nursing acumen, I revisit the most recent health issues in an attempt to isolate and disregard them when carrying out a diagnosis. Hmm.

Eventually after a couple of days and the loan of a very embarrassing BMW pimpmobile, Eric decides that the elderly battery was the culprit and fits a spanky new one. I pay. I leave. She goes.

No comments: